Friday, August 10, 2018

Audiobook Love

I am an Amazon Associate member. By clicking on links on this blog and then purchasing something from Amazon, I will receive a small commission. Thank you!

I recently finished two audiobooks that I loved! My library offers a free service called Hoopla that allows patrons to access free content such as movies, ebooks, and audiobooks. I LOVE Hoopla! It is so convenient and saves me a lot of money.

                                                                             

Title: Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice By Brene Brown
Received: Library via Hoopla 
Rating:💖💖💖💖💖
Summary from Amazon: 

• The spiritual dimension of the Rising Strong process: the Reckoning, the Rumble, and the Revolution
• A sense of belonging—how spirituality encourages us to be ourselves instead of   trying to change in order to fit in
• Why the sense of perspective provided by a spiritual practice helps us find meaning and purpose
• “Are we doing the best we can?”—How faith in humanity can help us become more compassionate and less judgmental
• Why the spiritual understanding of death and rebirth are invaluable in the process of forgiveness

Thoughts on Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice:

I haven't read anything else by Brene Brown, but now I want to. She does an excellent job on the audio. It sounds like this is actually recorded at a live show as opposed to an "audiobook," but I may be wrong. At any rate, the audio and narration is great! There were so many nuggets of wisdom in this book. One thing that really resonated with me was how she describes the way we tell ourselves stories about situations that may or may not be true. It is definitely something I'm going to start working on and trying to remember that it is not all about me all the time.

Check this book out HERE



Title: The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers by Amy Hollingsworth
Received: Library via Hoopla
Rating: 💖💖💖💖💖

Summary (from Amazon)Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood with an inside look on Mr. Rogers' spiritual legacy. It shows us a man who, to paraphrase the words of St. Francis of Assisi, "preached the gospel at all times; when necessary he used words."

Tom Brokaw of NBC Nightly News once said of the American icon Fred Rogers, "Mister Rogers was an ordained minister, but he never talked about God on his program. He didn't need to."
Eight years before his death, Fred Rogers met author, educator, and speaker Amy Hollingsworth. What started as a television interview turned into a wonderful friendship spanning dozens of letters detailing the driving force behind this gentle man of extraordinary influence. Educator? Philosopher? Psychologist? Minister? Here is an intimate portrait of the real Mister Rogers.
The Simple Faith of Mr. Rogers focuses on Mr. Rogers' spiritual legacy, but it is much more than that. It shows us a man who, to paraphrase the words of St. Francis of Assisi, "preached the gospel at all times; when necessary he used words."

I LOVED this book! Sooo much so that I am buying it for a dear friend for Christmas. It is uplifting  inspiring, and even led me to watch some of the old episodes of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood on Amazon Prime. It impressed on me the importance of how I speak to children and how to even as adults, we often carry around hurts and questions from childhood. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Fred Rogers, but I also recommend it to those who never watched the show or might not understand what all the fuss was about. I promise you, it will make you admire the man that was Fred Rogers and his vision for his life and legacy. 


Check this book out HERE

2 comments:

Tarissa said...

I love the cover for the Mr. Rogers book. I'd like to read that one myself!

My Cozy Book Blog said...

I love the cover, too, Tarissa. It is a great book!

Post a Comment

 

My Cozy Book Blog Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon