Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Only Ever Her by MaryBeth Mayhew Whalen



Cover Image from Amazon 

I am an Amazon Associate member. By clicking on links on this blog and then purchasing something from Amazon, I will receive a small commission. Thank you!

Title: Only Ever Her by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen
Received: Audible (free with Kindle Unlimited subscription)
Rating: ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–

This is the first book I've read by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen, but I've had When We Were Worthy on my TBR list for some time now.  I picked up Only Ever Her after seeing it appear on several lists for best books to read this summer. While I intended to read this on my Kindle, the Audible version was free with the KU download, so I ended up listening to this on Audible. I thought the narration of the audio version was great! I'm very picky about narrators. The narration can make or break an audiobook for me. This audio version did not disappoint.

There are two mysteries in this book. One is the mystery of who killed Annie's mother, Lydia, twenty years ago in the small-town where Annie still lives. When Annie goes missing four days before her wedding, a second mystery unfolds. To top it off, the man that Annie wrongly identified as her mother's killer was just released from jail after twenty years when Annie recants her testimony.

I have mixed feelings about this book. I really enjoyed the short, quick chapters, and the audiobook kept me engaged. I enjoyed the pacing, the characterization, and the setting. Being from a small-town myself, I felt like the small town setting/life was portrayed perfectly. What I didn't love was the actual resolution to the mysteries that the book are centered around. I honestly felt let down by the ending. I think I was waiting on a big twist or surprise, and I think the author tried to do that with the revelation of who killed Lydia. I don't want to spoil the ending, but I will just say I wasn't impressed by the revelation because I had no emotional connection to the killer. As far as the mystery concerning Annie, I thought the ending was very anti-climatic.

The writing was great, but this book just fell a little flat for me. I gave it a 3 out of 5 rating though, because it held my attention until the end (which is a huge WIN). I think I went into this thinking it was a suspense/thriller novel, but the ending fell flat for me. I still want to read When We Were Worthy and will eventually get to it.

Happy Reading!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

My Cozy Book Blog Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon