Sunday, September 2, 2018

Sweet Little Lies by Caz Frear


(Cover Image from HarperCollins)

I am an Amazon Associate member. By clicking on links on this blog and then purchasing something from Amazon, I will receive a small commission. Thank you!

Title: Sweet Little Lies by Caz Frear
Received: Hoopla from Library (Audiobook)
Rating: 💖💖💖💖

Summary from Amazon: 
Your father is a liar. But is he a killer? 
Even liars tell the truth . . . sometimes.

Twenty-six-year-old Cat Kinsella overcame a troubled childhood to become a Detective Constable with the Metropolitan Police Force, but she’s never been able to banish these ghosts. When she’s called to the scene of a murder in Islington, not far from the pub her estranged father still runs, she discovers that Alice Lapaine, a young housewife who didn’t get out much, has been found strangled.
Cat and her team immediately suspect Alice’s husband, until she receives a mysterious phone call that links the victim to Maryanne Doyle, a teenage girl who went missing in Ireland eighteen years earlier. The call raises uneasy memories for Cat—her family met Maryanne while on holiday, right before she vanished. Though she was only a child, Cat knew that her charming but dissolute father wasn’t telling the truth when he denied knowing anything about Maryanne or her disappearance. Did her father do something to the teenage girl all those years ago? Could he have harmed Alice now? And how can you trust a liar even if he might be telling the truth?
Determined to close the two cases, Cat rushes headlong into the investigation, crossing ethical lines and trampling professional codes. But in looking into the past, she might not like what she finds. . . .

Ok, I have lots of to say about this book. First off, here are the things I enjoyed: 

1. I listened to this on audiobook. The narrator did an excellent job. I sometimes struggle to stay engaged when the narrator has a British accent. I don't know why, but often British narrators make me relax and fall asleep. I think it is because their voices are so melodious. So, with that being said, I'm sometimes hesitant to try a audiobook with a British narrator, but this narrator kept me entertained and on the edge of my seat throughout the entire book. 

2. This audiobook was approx. 11 hours. I finished it. Given my short attention span, that tells you it was an engaging read. 

3. One of my catnips is books set in Ireland. Parts of this book take place there, and I loved that about it. 

4. I read that this is the author's debut novel...wow. Just wow. Excellent debut and immense talent. 

Ok, so really my only "complaint" with this book is that I felt like it went on a little too long at the end. Once the mystery was solved, I felt like the pace slowed, and the book dwindled off, as opposed to keeping the same pace throughout. I found myself saying, "Ok, let's wrap this up." Otherwise, I thought this was a well done, well written book. I would highly recommend it. It didn't make my keeper shelf, just because I don't think I would read it again because of length (and that I know how the mystery is solved). The ending is satisfying and wraps up nicely, which I appreciate. 

Click the image below to check out the book on Amazon. Happy reading!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

My Cozy Book Blog Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon